Here’s the lowdown on what’s new, what works on what to try this season in terms of beauty.
- Face Forward. Gwyneth Paltrow – actress, mother and overall health guru – usually uses her online platform, Goop, for selling products from companies that share ethos, but this spring, she launched the first Goop-braded merchandise, a six piece skincare line created in collaboration with the organic brand Juice Beauty. Together with Karen Behnke, founder of Juice Beauty, the superstar actress created products that are at least 70 per cent organic and packed with anti-aging ingredients like plant stem cells for pigment and hydration issues, peptides for firmness, and sandalwood nut oil for elasticity.
- Coming up roses. It’s that time of the year again, when our favorite bud is in fool bloom. If you want to smell like one two, pretty up your countertop with one of these fragrant treats: Dior Poison Girl eau de parfum, 99 euro (30ml), Diptique Rosaviola candle, 92 euro, Elie Saab Le Parfum Rose Couture eau de toilette, 157 euro.
- Fearless aging. Estee Lauder’s Night Repair was launched in 1982 and it was the first beauty product to use hyaluronic acid as a skincare ingredient. Its latest version, the Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II, patented till 2021, boasts over 25 patents with its revolutionary formula that is found to work best during sleep as it ensures that the body’s clock genes are working at their maximum. Hyaluronic acid for hydration, algae extracts for skin cell regeneration, and its Alkyl Guanine Transferase that works on toxins and chemicals from the environment to brighten and repair skin damage are its star ingredients. Definitely a must!
- Back to matte. It’s an exciting time for M.A.C makeup lovers as the brand, for the first time, released a lip collection featuring liquid lipsticks that feature a matte finish. The Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolour line comes in 15 shades, from deep true red, deep dark plum, cranberry red, and deep wine to bright fuchsia, bright violet, warm nude, creamy coral, and more. The best part is they don’t dry the lips as most matte formulations do.
- Gold concoction. La Mer’s signature skincare ingredient – the Miracle Broth – has long established a cult following. Just when you think it can’t get any better, scientists at the La Mer laboratories discovered something to improve the classic formula – crystals that formed in a Miracle Broth beaker. This concentrated, crystalized version proved to be even more powerful in refining pores, diminishing lines, and enhancing skin elasticity. Slow-crafted in limited quantities, this groundbreaking formula is featured for the first time in La Mer’s new Genaissance Serum Essence, which also includes rare marine ingredients like pom pom red algae for collagen production and sweeping leaf brown algae for a smooth skin surface. It comes in a beautiful flacon inspired by the champagne gold colors of the Crystal Miracle Broth liquid.
Olga Kurylenko and Charlotte Dellal at the Gennaisance de La Mer launch private dinner in London.
- Palette to liquid. We had been using the ever popular Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer Kit for years to cover up under-eye circles. Then we discovered its newer, skincare-type cousin, the Intensive Skin Serum Corrector & Concealer. This duo doesn’t only help us fake it but make it, thanks to its potent ingredients like Indian mukul myrrh tree extract and cordyceps mushroom extract that treat dark circles and puffy skin while perfectly covering up evidence of our sleepless nights. Its second-skin finish is notable, apart from its long lasting formula.
- Sublime skin. Chanel’s latest offering, Sublimage L’Extrait, is neither a gel nor a cream nor a fluid. All we need is just one drop of this shimmering gold formula infused with extracts of Madagascan vanilla planifolia’s stem cells, flowers, and fruits, with regenerative properties that work on the skin to reduce wrinkles, spots, and dryness while protecting it from external aggressors and stimulating microcirculation. This could just be Chanel’s most potent skincare product to date. Its texture is unique in the sense that it starts out as a dense liquid on your fingertips and melts into a sheer veil once applied on the skin, creating a smooth and velvety surface throughout the day.
- Monkey see, monkey do. Giorgio Armani pays tribute to the year of the monkey with the creation of an exclusive Chinese New Year Illuminating Palette – an airy, joyful and carefree pressed powder which leaves a matte, natural and transparent veil over the skin, highlighting the purity of Asian complexion. The two-tone case features a scarlet lid, the color of happiness and fortune, and an ultra chic jet black lower section.